TITLE: They Keep in Touch with God
TEXT: Phil.4:4-7; Eph.6:18
“Prayer is an unnatural activity.” Bill Hybels
I. WHY DON’T WE KEEP IN TOUCH WITH GOD?
“Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank Him for all He has done. If you do this, you will experience God’s peace, which is far more wonderful than the human mind can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.” Phil.4:6-7 (NLT)
1. Because praying to God is a (mysterious thing).
2. Because I (don’t feel worthy) to talk to God.
3. Because it is hard to see that my prayers (make a difference).
4. Because my (mind keeps wandering).
5. Because I (don’t feel anything).
II. HOW CAN WE KEEP IN TOUCH WITH GOD?
Turn to Eph.6:18. What is a consistent prayer life achieved?
1) We are to pray (about everything).
2) We are to pray (at all times).
3) We are to pray (with power). Reference Rom.8:26 (p.944)
How can my prayers be effective? Matthew 6 (p.811)
1. Don’t be (hypocritical). [6:1-2,5,16]
2. Don’t use a lot of (repetition). [6:7-8]
3. Don’t harbor (anything) against anyone. [6:14-15] “If I had cherished evil thoughts, Adonai would not have listened.” Ps.66:18 Jewish Bible “If I had not confessed the sin in my heart, the Lord would not have listened.” (Same verse in NLT)
Questions to ponder:
• Do I have a regular time in prayer each day?
• Do I take advantage of small windows of opportunity to pray?
• Am I making an attempt to stay in contact with God each day?
• Am I making an attempt to converse with God each day?
NEXT: They Have a Heart for Seekers- Luke 15; 19:1-10