2020 THEME: TRUTH
Scripture: Colossians 1:1-8
I. CELEBRATING THE PAST
The author of the book: (Paul) with a little bit of help from (Timothy).
More importantly: Why the book? Jesus Christ is sufficient as our (Lord), our (Life), and our (Leader). It appears the young believers at Colossae still lacked the deep-rooted, mature faith in the (sufficiency of the person and work of Christ) that would enable them to stand against the onslaught of (worldly philosophies) and (man-made religions).
II. CELEBRATING THE PRESENT
What does Paul celebrate?
1. There is a celebration of (joy). He calls them “saints and faithful brothers in Christ.”
2. There is a celebration of (thanksgiving). He gives us sort of an “apostolic shorthand” for genuine Christianity.
1) He is thankful for their (faith) in verses 3-4a.
2) He is thankful for their (love) in verse 4.
3) He is thankful for this (hope) in verse 5.
3. There is a celebration of (the gospel).
Next week: Theme: Truth/ Series: Supremacy
Title: A Prayer for the Church/ Colossians 1: 9-14