SERIES: Transformed By Prayer
TITLE: Too Busy Not to Pray
TEXT: Mark 1:35-39; Eph.3:14-21
“Prayer is not overcoming God’s reluctance, but laying hold of His willingness.” Luther
“I would rather teach one man to pray than ten men to preach.” Spurgeon
“Our prayers lay the track down which God’s power can come. Like a mighty locomotive, His power is irresistible, but it cannot reach us without rails.” Nee
“There never has been a spiritual awakening in any country or locality that did not being in united prayer.” Pierson
- THE EXAMPLE OF PRAYER
“He who runs from God in the morning will scarcely find him the rest of the day.” Bunyan
First recorded prayer: Genesis 20
Last recorded prayer: Rev.22:20
- THE ELEMENTS OF PRAYER
2 statements about prayer: (Hybels)
- Prayer is an (unnatural activity).
- Prayer is alien to our proud (human nature).
“When we work, we work; but when we pray, God works.”
3. injunctions given about prayer by Jesus: Matthew 6 (p.811)
1) Don’t be (hypocritical).
2) Don’t be (repetitious).
3) Don’t harbor anything (against anyone).
What is affected by this latter statement?
- Our relationship with (God). “If I had cherished sin in my heart, the Lord would have listened.” Ps.66:18 (NIV) Turn to Ps.32:1-5 (p.462)
- Our relationship with (each other). “Make allowances for each other’s faults, and forgive anyone who offends you. Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others.” Col. 3:3
NEXT: Series: Transformed by Prayer
God Has Answers- Selected Scriptures