TITLE: To the Dead Church
Scripture: Revelation 3:1-6
I. THE PICTURE OF DEATH
Sardis was known as the city of (two locations). One was at the top of Mount Tmolus and the other in the fertile Hermus River valley.
Three different spiritual strands thrived in Sardis:
1. The (Caesar) cult or emperor worship.
2. Temple of (Artemis/Diana)
3. Worship of Cybele, a local (nature goddess)
When is a church dead?
1) When it is content to (rest on its past laurels).
2) When it is more concerned with (form) than (spiritual reality).
3) When it focuses more on (social ills) and (politics) than changing people’s hearts and minds through the life-changing message of Jesus.
4) When it is more concerned with (material things) than (spiritual things).
II. THE POSSIBILITY OF LIFE
5 moves they must make:
1. (Wake up). [V.2a]
2. (Strengthen) the remnant. [V.2b]
3. Remember your (purpose)! [V.3]
4. (Keep it). [V.3b]
5. (Repent!) [v.3c]
Three promises made to a faithful remnant:
1) The promise of (eternal life).
2) The promise of a (place in heaven).
3) The promise of (Jesus Himself).
NEXT WEEK: Theme: Unsinkable/ Series: Postcards
Title: To the Faithful Church- Rev.3: 7-13