TITLE: No Fence/No Limits
Scripture: Luke 10:25-37
I. THE PURPOSE OF THE PARABLE
Of all the questions which could be asked, this is the most important: (What shall I do to inherit eternal life?)
Words in verse 25 seem to tell us this request was not sincere: (Put him to the test).
“What is written in the Law?” This refers to Deut.6. It is called the (Shema).
II. THE PERSONALITIES OF THE PARABLE
Several points of reference concerning this parable:
1. The road from Jerusalem to Jericho.
· For a hint: This was called (The Red, or Bloody Way)
2. This man fell among robbers, who stripped him, beat him, and left him for dead.
3. Three men walked by:
· Priest. A servant of God, who offered sacrifices for the (people’s sins).
· Levite. Assisted the priests. In the days of the Tabernacle, their main responsibility was (carrying the Ark) by poles.
· Samaritan. Seen as half-breeds by Jews. Mix of Assyrians and Jews.
The Lesson: Only by continuously, perfectly loving God and every neighbor on every occasion-even his worst enemies- could the scribe satisfy the first and second commandments and (obtain eternal life). Since that is an impossibility for him and for us, the word (GRACE) becomes big.
NEXT WEEK: Theme: Unsinkable/ Series: Servants
Title: Saying Thanks- Luke 17:11-19