2020 THEME: TRUTH
SERIES: Promises, Promises
TITLE: Good News for a Sad World
Scripture: Romans 5:6-11
“Man is born to trouble as the sparks fly upward.” Job 5:7
I. THE VERY BAD NEWS
Turn to Psalm 40: 1-3
Graphic language in Romans 5
1. “For while we were still weak.” (v.6) The word weak can also be translated (helpless). The Greek word means without strength.
2. “While we were still sinners.” (v.8)
3. “While we were enemies.” (v.10)
Those three words-weak, sinners, and enemies tell a story of total (lostness). We are not just as bad as we can be, but as bad off as we can be.
II. THE VERY, VERY GOOD NEWS
How did God respond to us? 4 answers to this question.
1. He (loved) us. (v.8)
2. He (justified) us. (v.9a)
3. He (saved) us from the wrath of God. (v.9b)
4. He (reconciled) us. (v.10)
Next Week: A new series called “Q & A”
What about Work?- Genesis 1: 26-27; 2:15 (and others)