2021 THEME: Life on the Edge
Series: Eyes Wide Open
TITLE: Eyes of Empathy
Scripture: Mk. 5: 21-43
I. LIVES OF DESPERATION REACHING OUT
Each of the four Gospels was written to a different audience. Mark’s gospel was written primarily to a (Roman) audience. The Roman culture was known as an (abandonment) culture. One common ritual was called (exposure).
Act One: A Desperate Dad
Two kinds of suffering in this world:
Act Two: A Desperate Woman
Two things about this woman:
1) The issue of blood has been 12 years. Speculation abounds
2) No medical solution made her a religious outcast
II. LIVES OF DESPERATION FINDING RELIEF
Act Three: Rescue
1. The woman’s life is altered. Her response to Jesus’ response.
1) Jesus gave her just what (she needed).
2. The good news for Jairus.
3. How did Jesus rescue?
1) Rescued a woman who had (suffered) for 12 years.
2) Rescued a young 12 year old from a (short life).
3) Rescued parents from an (empty existence).
Next Week: Eyes of Truth- Luke 7: 36-50