Email a copy of 'Eyes of Steadfast Love' to a friend
2021 THEME: Life on the Edge
Series: Eyes Wide Open
TITLE: Eyes of Steadfast Love
John 19: 25-27
I. THE PLACE OF WOMEN IN BIBLICAL CULTURE
Jewish culture did not look kindly on women. Marriage and family law favored (men over women).
In Roman culture they were seen as (property) to be owned.
The NT gives a different picture of them. Peter even references “the holy women in the old time.” [See I Peter 3:5 for Peter’s other thoughts).
II. THE PLACE OF WOMEN IN JESUS’ LIFE
1. (Joanna) in Luke 8:3.
· Picture of one who had it all but one thing: (peace of mind and soul).
2. (Mary Magdalene) in Mark 16:9.
· Picture of one whose life was (afflicted) and (out of control).
3. (Mary) in Mt.27:56. Mark adds that she is the mother of James and Joseph.
· Picture of one not swayed by others, not even family.
4. (Salome) in Mark 15:40 (by name) and by inference in Mt. 27:61.
· Picture of one who releases her child to follow Jesus and the hard path.
What can we learn from these magnificent women?
1) Joanna- true peace and contentment can only be found in Christ.
2) Mary Magdalene- Jesus takes messes and makes them treasure.
3) Mary- the strength of a family’s love.
4) Salome- Willingness to give up children to follow Jesus.
Theme: Life on the Edge / Series: Eyes Wide Open
Title: Eyes of Amazement- Luke 7:1-10; Mt. 8:5-13