Email a copy of 'Running on Empty' to a friend
2022 THEME: For Such a Time. . .
Series: 8 Cures
TITLE: Running on Empty
Scripture: Matthew 5: 1-3
I. IDENTIFYING SOME TERMS
Who was Jesus’ audience?
1) The Pharisees- (Legalists)
2) The Sadducees- (Liberals)
3) The Essenes- (Withdraw)
4) The Zealots- (Rebels)
“Blessed”- Happy in the sense of (internal joy).
II. IDENTIFYING THE LESS THAN OBVIOUS
The Greek word for “poor” means abject poverty, to crouch or to cower. A good understanding of “poor in spirit” is (humility). Some other Scriptures: Is.66:2; Ps.34:18; Ps.51:17
Why “poor in spirit?” essential? R. Kent Hughes
1. Poor in spirit is essential to (knowing God’s approval).
2. Poor in spirit is essential to (salvation).
3. Poor in spirit is essential for (spiritual growth).
Next Week: “8 Cures” Title: Good Grief!- Mt.5: 1-4