TITLE: Crawling Back
TEXT: Jonah 1:17-2:10 (p.774)
“You can’t run, you can’t hide from the Hound of Heaven/You’re free to choose or refuse the seeker of souls.” Daniel Amos “Hound of Heaven”
I. GOD’S PREPARATION
Jonah is desperate. It led him to pray:
1. In desperation he prayed like (David) in Psalm 34:6: “This poor man cried, and the Lord heard him and saved him out of all his troubles.”
2. In desperation he prayed like (Hannah), who was childless. “She was deeply distressed and prayed to the Lord and wept bitterly.” I Sam.1:10
3. In desperation he prayed like (Jeremiah). “Water closed over my head; I said, ‘I am lost.’” Lam.3:54
4. In desperation he prayed like (Jesus) in the garden.
II. JONAH’S PRAYER
Jonah experiencing in real life what many of us talk about. See Psalm 69:1-2,14-15.
“David was greatly distressed, for the people spoke of stoning him…But David strengthened himself in the Lord his God.” I Sam.30:6
What can we learn from this scene in Jonah’s life?
1. We must learn to pray in the midst of our (failure).
2. We must learn to thank the Lord for confronting us with our (disobedience).
3. We must learn to (see ourselves) in Jonah’s life.
Close with Psalm 139:8-12
NEXT: Series: Transformed by Grace
Second Chance- Jonah 3