2020 THEME: TRUTH
SERIES: A Grand Production
TITLE: The Co-Stars
Scripture: Mt. 1:18-25; Luke 1:26-38
I. THE UNSUNG HERO
Joseph had two options:
1. He could (publicly shame her).
2. He could (divorce) her.
“First century folk knew every bit as well as we do that babies are produced by sexual intercourse. When, in Matthew’s version of the story, Joseph heard about Mary’s pregnancy, his problem arose not because he didn’t know the facts of life, but because he did.” (Wright)
One of Joseph’s major strengths was he (listened).
We know this about Joseph:
1) He was in the (lineage of David)
2) He is (fulfilling Scripture).
3) He would have been a (pariah) among his own people.
II. THE SECOND VIOLIN
Mary was not looking for (prominence). This does tell us about her (simple faith) and her willingness to (say yes to God).
Some observations about Mary: (Tim Keller)
1. Mary responded (thoughtfully).
2. Mary responded (gradually).
3. Mary responded in (willing surrender).
Next Week: Series: “A Grand Production”
The Star is Born! – Matthew 1: 18-25; Lk. 2:1-7; John 1:1-5, 14